Tuesday 7 January 2014

How to turn plastic bags to plarn



I have an interesting hobby.  I recycle stuff! My latest hobby is recycling plastic bags. I I crochet them into water tumbler carriers, tote bags, shopping bags, bible covers and my latest I made handphone/cell phone carriers which you can sling around your neck. (I will teach you in my next posting) 

First let me show you how I recycle my old plastic bags from supermarkets and markets and turn them to plarn. Personally I prefer the "tar pow" bags where we pack our food from shops.  The colours are very pretty.  I found out from internet that you call these "Plarn" (Plastic Yarn)

1) Gather whatever old plastic bags you can find or ask you neighbours/ friends.  They will gladly give them to you.

2) Neatly lay the plastic bag on a hard surface. Smoothen it out.


3) Now fold the bag into 1/2 and then fold again.


4) Cut off the "ears" or handles & the bottom edged


5) Cut into 2cm or 3/4 inch strips or as desired (depending on quality of bag, if too thick, cut into smaller strips)


6) Take 1 strip and open it up till you see a loop. Then take another strip and inter-twin them together.


7) Gently pull on ends to knot them together. 


8) Continue joining the rest of the strips or you can match with other colours (as desired) You can roll them into a ball. 


9) This is how I prepare all my plastic bags and sort them according to their colours.


Happy collecting plastic bags!  

       



2 comments: